The Edge of the Arctic
Three days and two nights of exciting adventure that includes sailing aboard schooners to Grímsey island by the Arctic Circle.
This tour is perfect for those who would like a different perspective on Northeast Iceland and want to spend two days away from the hustle and bustle of modern times. The tour takes you to the deserted island of Flatey and the inhabited island of Grímsey, situated directly on the Arctic Circle. The sail gives everyone a unique opportunity to participate in handling the sails and learn about the old ways of sailing.
This is a fascinating tour that takes you to the Arctic Circle and offers a chance to experience many amazing moments including: sailing without an engine and spotting various whale species on the way, seeing thousands of birds and last but not least, beholding the enchanting midnight sun.
The schooners are ideal for overnight tours and we can take up to 11 people in schooner Haukur. The only two-masted schooners are owend by North Sailing. Similar schooners were typical of deckboats along the north coast of Iceland at the end of the 19th century.
The tour departs on Tuesday evenings from Reykjavík and you will arrive back to the city on Thursday evening.
- Return flights to Húsavík
- Bus transport to and from airport
- Two nights aboard schooner Haukur
- All meals and refreshments during the sail
- Professional sailing outfit
- Admission to Húsavík Whale Museum
- Certification for crossing the Arctic Circle
- Zodiac tour around Grímsey island
- 10% discount at Gamli Baukur restaurant
What's not included
- Dinner in Húsavík the first night
Duration: 3 days & 2 nights
Operation dates: 23-25 April, 7-9 May, 4-6 June, 25-27 June, 9-11 July